Suggestions for Preparing Posters
- Posters should be prepared directly onto A0 sheets - 841 mm wide by 1189 mm high - or at least onto large (A1 or A2) sheets. Posters made by taping together A4 or quarto sheets tend to look amateurish.
The lettering should be large enough to be read by someone standing 2 m back from
the poster. The following text sizes are suggested.
Title: 2 - 3 cm Authors' names and affiliations: 1½ - 2 cm Section headings (Abstract, Results etc.): 1½ - 2 cm Text: ½ - 1 cm
- For clarity, use lots of diagrams, lots of colour, and not many words.
- Use phrases and short sentences in "bullet points".
It is recommended that the poster be divided into sections:
- a one or two sentence abstract
- problem definition and/or aims
The rules for the preparation of good slides apply equally to the preparation of good
- keep them simple
- avoid overcrowding and excessive information
- use large lettering and thick lines
- "one picture is worth a thousand words"
- Posters are to be attached to the poster room walls using reusable tack ("blutac" or similar) which will be supplied, and not by thumb tacks (drawing pins) or adhesive tape.